Lat: 57.755154, Lon: 24.362686
Lielsalaca Evangelical Lutheran Church
In 1777 it was built as a wooden church and in 1857 it was rebuilt in stone maintaining the roof of the old church, the walls were built anew under the old roof. In 1892, a dressing room was added.The altarpiece "Ascension of Christ" was painted in 1847 by K.Gelhar, a pharmacist from Limbaži.The walls of the church are decorated with reliefs made by the sculptor Gustavs Šķilters.The pulpit and part of the benches have survived from the second half of the 18th century.The organ was built in H. Kolbe organ factory in Riga, installed in 1933.
Quotation from the middle of the 19th century, before the reconstruction of the church: " Our not yet 100-year-old wooden church was so ruined that we had to think about restoration, but due to insufficient funds and to avoid difficulties our hostile government poses to all foreign churches and buildings, it was decided: not to build a new church, but to repair the old one, ie first remove the roof of the church and then tear the wooden walls and build them from the stone from the very foundations. "
Thanks to Salacgriva Museum for information and photos!
Address: Baznīcas iela 2a, Salacgrīva