Get to know the churches of Salacgriva and its region - their visit is an exciting journey through the course of history and will leave unforgettable impressions, as they are unique testimonies of church history and their art styles, enjoy their beauty and feelings in churches of different denominations, get to know the specia aura of the world they can give.
Phone number: +371 64041254
#1 St. Arsenuis Ortodox Church
Ortodox Congregation began to function in Ainaži in 1889. There always have been few representatives of Russian nationality in Ainaži town. But a long time ago the Russian tsar promised to give land to those people who would accept ortodox religion. And so many latvians and estonians became the members of ortodox church.
#2 Lady of Refuge Ortodox Church
Built in 1873, architect R. Pflūgs. He is also the author of Birth of Christ Ortodox Cathedral in Riga.
#3 Lielsalaca Evangelical Lutheran Church
In 1777 it was built as a wooden church and in 1857 it was rebuilt in stone maintaining the roof of the old church, the walls were built anew under the old roof. In 1892, a dressing room was added.
#4 St. Maria Goreti Roman Catholic Church
Built in 1997 (architect D. Straubegs, long-term mayor of Salacgrīva). The altar cross with Christ statue is made by the sculptor Jānis Bārda. Wall mosaics "Maria Goreti" and "Vaclav Bridge"are the works of Mairita Folkmane.
#5 Liepupe Lutheran Church
Liepupe (Pernigele) Church is built in the period from 1777 till 1783. The church is extraordinary with its peculiar location of bell tower - on the side. Therefore the altar is not at the edge of the church, but in the centre. The pulpit is above the altar, and the pastor during the service stands in the middle of congregation. Church bell was moulded already in 1634, but the organ was obtained in 1834. On November 29th, 1971 there was a fire in the church. Baroque style church equipment, organ and archive were burnt. In 1989 the renovation was started. On May 22nd, 1999 restored church was sanctified.