Along the historical trails
The route "Along the Historical Trails" provides an opportunity to look into history of Salacgriva town. The route will lead through the town, starting from Riga Street, which has always played an important role in the social and cultural life of the town and across the Salaca River, where you will see the Salaca promenade and famous people's handprints in the "Alley of Fame" and Salacgriva symbol - the lighthouse. The route will continue to the Salaca castle mound and up to the 1st lamprey weir.
Download (on the left) the route guide, which will give you a small insight into each place and object on the route.
Riga Street is the only paved street in Salacgriva and has always played an important role in the social and cultural life of the county and town.
A fishing boat can be seen at Rigas Street 10, Salacgriva. In November of 2006 it was donated to Salacgriva town by fisherman Visvaldis Šrenks.
In honour of the 80th anniversary of Salacgriva, a fire sculpture was built and burnt, which then delights Salacgriva residents and tourists as an element of amenity. Its author is the artist Imants Klīdzējs.
The lighthouse of Salacgrīva is located on the right bank of the river Salaca - it is a quadrangular white tower with a red lantern and it was built in 1925. Today the lighthouse does not operate anymore - following this lighthose, all fishermen have already found their way home and the story has ended happily. The lighthouse was built, because due to the numerous sandbanks the coast between Salacgrīva and Ainaži was considered to be the most dangerous area for sailing in the whole Gulf of Riga.
On July 16, 2016, a "alley of fame" was opened on the promenade. The author of the idea is D.Strauberg and the work at it started 7 years ago, when the first artist handprints werw taken during the Positivus festival.
The memorial is located between Viļņu and Pērnavas street. The memorial was built in 1986.
It is dedicated to seamen who didn’t return from the sea and to Soviet soldiers killed in World War II. It is sculptured as the image of a woman-mother holding a little baby on her shoulders. The memorial was created by the sculptor Leja Novozheneca and architect Janis Petersons.
In 1777 it was built as a wooden church and in 1857 it was rebuilt in stone maintaining the roof of the old church, the walls were built anew under the old roof. In 1892, a dressing room was added.
It’s impossible to say how old Salacgrīva really is. The most ancient place is considered the castle mound on the right bank of Salaca river.