As coastal people, we know how rough the sea can sometimes be - when waves, rain and the spatter of water mislead the boat from the track home that it has taken. Lighthouses can save in such situations, which is why we have so many of them.
The lighthouse of Salacgrīva is located on the right bank of the river Salaca - it is a quadrangular white tower with a red lantern and it was built in 1925. Today the lighthouse does not operate anymore - following this lighthose, all fishermen have already found their way home and the story has ended happily. The lighthouse was built, because due to the numerous sandbanks the coast between Salacgrīva and Ainaži was considered to be the most dangerous area for sailing in the whole Gulf of Riga.
This lighthouse, which was built in 1926, once stood on the breakwater. The height of the lights was 8.1 m above the water level. In the December storm of 1986, when a part of the breakwater collapsed, this lighthouse fell into the sea...
The lighthouse was built in 1930. It is 22.8 m high and is located on a hill at the former narrow gauge railroad and until today it shows the way to the seafarers. It is located opposite the old road that once led to the Ainaži harbor – ar in the old days when our grand-grand-grand-fathers lived in Ainaži the narrow gauge railroad lead straight to the pier of the Ainaži port.
The lighthouse is located on the coast nearby the old pier. It was built in 1925. On the top of the metal carcass the lights shone once, but it is not working today.
The Ķurmrags lighthouse is located on the Ķurmrags foreland. It is the most pronounced foreland in the Vidzeme part of the Gulf of Rīga. It was built in 1924. In the storm of 1967 it was destroyed and its light was switched off. It was originally located on the highest part of the shore but during the storm of 2005 it was washed into the sea, where it still stands awry a few metres offshore. It is clearly visible from a distance.